Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda Fazani


Sunday, December 13, 2009

"30 Seconds with…" short interviews with architects participating in the World Architecture Festival 2009

Share


very short interviews with architects participating in the World Architecture Festival 2009 (WAF)

architect: mixed
interview title: 30 Seconds with…
interviews compilation no: T-13
interview format: text
date: 2009
appeared in: World Architecture Festival
interviewer:
photo by:

courtesy: http://www.worldarchitecturefestival.com/30-seconds.cfm


interview details:


30 Seconds with…

Jason Yeang
Occupation:Designer


Currently working on:
Concept design for an Ecomasterplan for Mixed-use development Istanbul, 1.5M sqft.

I knew I had to pursue a career in architecture when:
I was told it would make me rich.

Nicest thing anyone's ever said to me:
I love you, daddy.

Worst thing anyone's ever said to me:
You’re a screwed-up has-been.

Proudest architectural moment:
Today

Favourite world building:
El Bulli

Architect/Practice to watch and why:
Ridzwa Fathan of Citylab studios. Divine sense of aesthetic.

Most exciting region for architecture today:
Singapore

Favourite thing about WAF:
The people I meet.

Nicola Leonardi
Occupation: Publisher, Editor in Chief of THE PLAN magazine

Currently working on:
How to bring a copy of THE PLAN on each architect’s desk.

I knew I had to pursue a career in architecture when:
I fell in love with Luis Kahn and Frank Lloyd Wright masterpieces.

Nicest thing anyone's ever said to me:
THE PLAN’s a miracle.

Worst thing anyone's ever said to me:
Don’t start a new architecture magazine, there are far too many.

Proudest architectural moment:
Introducing Richard Rogers at an important conference in Italy few years ago.

Favourite world building:
Carbide and Carbon Building, Chicago 1929, by Burnham Brothers.

Architect/Practice to watch and why:
Mario Cucinella, a great talent and a lot into sustainability issues.

Most exciting region for architecture today:
Chile.

Favourite thing about WAF:
Its fair play.



Carlotta Zucchini
Occupation: Publisher, Art Director of THE PLAN magazine


Currently working on:
THE PLAN’s new portal.

I knew I had to pursue a career in architecture when:
I got married to Nicola.

Nicest thing anyone's ever said to me:
You’re a talent scout in finding new unknown architects.

Worst thing anyone's ever said to me:
You should study economics...

Proudest architectural moment:
The WAF Jury...

Favourite world building:
Institut du Monde Arabe, Paris, by Jean Nouvel.

Architect/Practice to watch and why:
Grafton Architects, talented and female.

Most exciting region for architecture today:
South America.

Favourite thing about WAF:
It’s global.


 
Vittorio Magnago Lampugnani
Occupation: Architect and teacher


Currently working on:
Building the Novartis campus in Basel, a subway station in Naples and an urban development near Zurich; finishing a book on the architecture of the city in the 20th century; completing a new series of lectures on the history of urban design.

I knew I had to pursue a career in architecture when:
I still do not know for sure that I have to pursue a career in architecture.

Nicest thing anyone's ever said to me:
You really are an architect.

Worst thing anyone's ever said to me:
You really are an architect (in a slightly different tone).

Proudest architectural moment:
The first time an architectural drawing of mine was built, it was a small restaurant in Berlin and I almost could not believe it.

Favourite world building:
The Pantheon in Rome.

Architect/Practice to watch and why:
Too many to be listed without getting boring, but the list includes mine.

Most exciting region for architecture today:
The world.

Favourite thing about WAF:
It looks like a very lively and experimental initiative, and a few good and respected friends work with it.



Kim Herforth Nielsen
Occupation: Principal, 3XN Architects


Currently working on:
We have just finished our proposals for the London School of Economics and for three new footbridge connections in Copenhagen. Currently, I am working on several competitions, including a large concert hall and a courthouse.

I knew I had to pursue a career in architecture when:
I was travelling in New Zealand when I met an architecture student who showed me Roger Walker’s work. I was very inspired by his wild villas and I knew then that I wanted to be an architect.

Nicest thing anyone's ever said to me:
I am very pleased, when I receive positive reactions on my lectures; when I can sense right away that the audience understands my views on architecture. The feedback and positive response to these lectures is priceless.

Worst thing anyone's ever said to me:
It is frustrating when clients we have worked with for a long time on a project do not seem to understand our vision and do not appreciate all the effort we have put into the project. Fortunately, this does not happen very often).

Proudest architectural moment:
For me personally, my proudest moment was when I received the C.F. Hansen Medaille, Denmark’s highest architectural honor, earlier this year.

Favourite world building:
My favorite building is Le Corbusier’s Notre Dame du Haut in Ronchamp. It is truly spine-tingling to enter the church and to observe the way it has been created and placed in the surroundings.

Architect/Practice to watch and why:
I find the work of Danish studio BIG very interesting. Internationally, Manuelle Gautrand is definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Most exciting region for architecture today:
Every region has interesting opportunities of varying kind. Currently, there is a widespread focus on educational and cultural buildings in many parts of the world and all those regions are of interest to us.

Favourite thing about WAF:
WAF offers a unique venue for networking and dialogue across regions. This is something I really appreciate. Furthermore, I am pleased that the festival this year both embraces ‘built architecture’ and ‘future projects’.



Kengo Kuma
Occupation: Architect


Currently working on:
Granada Performing Arts Centre (Spain), Besancon City of Arts and Culture (France), FOND REGIONAL D’ART CONTEMPORAIN MARSEILL (France), Nezu Museum of Art (Tokyo), Gallery of Taoism (Chengdu, China)

I knew I had to pursue a career in architecture when:
I was struck by the interior space of Yoyogi Gymnasium by Kenzo Tange, at the time of the Tokyo Olympics, when I was ten. I thought I wanted to be someone who could touch people’s heart this way.

Nicest thing anyone's ever said to me:
“Your architecture doesn’t appear to be built brand-new. I feel that it has always been here since old days.”

Worst thing anyone's ever said to me:
“You are not at all listening to what I say.” Since then I came to listen to the others more carefully.

Proudest architectural moment:
It’s the moment to see welcoming smiles in my architectural works, whenever I go there.

Favourite world building:
Hyuga Villa, in Atami, Japan, designed by Bruno Taut.

Architect/Practice to watch and why:
Ai Weiwei, the way he works transcending the border between landscape and architecture.

Most exciting region for architecture today:
China

Favourite thing about WAF:
It is a place in its true sense for the architects from all over the world to compete each other in one common field, regardless of their age, country, and experience.



Petr Kudryatsev
Occupation: CEO, Building Holding Company


Currently working on:
Building Festival in Moscow and Star architects’ village in Pereslavl

I knew I had to pursue a career in architecture when:
I looked at futuristic projects of Ivan Leonidov

Nicest thing anyone's ever said to me:
“You are absolutely crazy” (Adriaan Geuze, West 8)

Worst thing anyone's ever said to me:
“You became a dull professional” (one of Moscow government VIP’s)

Proudest architectural moment:
Organizing first round of international competition for Apraksin Dvor in St Petersburg, after which Wilkinson Eyre defeated Foster and Partners

Favourite world building:
Moscow State University
French Communist Party Building (Paris)
Hagia Sofia (Instanbul)


Architect/Practice to watch and why:
Totan Kuzembaev and his magic work with wood

Most exciting region for architecture today:
Moscow

Favourite thing about WAF:
Listening to great architects defending their projects 

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

disclaimer

architecturalinterviews.blogspot or any other blogs in this architectural series (theories, monographs, interviews, lectures, videos, books, magazines, standards, histories, accessories, architects) does not host any of the files mentioned on this blog or on its own servers. architecturalinterviews.blogspot only shares various links on the Internet that already exist and are uploaded by other websites or users there and also shows courtesy in the beginning of each post. To clarify more please feel free to contact the webmasters anytime or read more Here.